DIRA2 mainly performs the management of data files containing
catalogues. The main actions are: the creation of the data base, the
updating, the query and data retrieval and the graphic representation
of the output. The DIRA2 commands act on catalogues either on disk or
tape. The catalogues can be in a public area, or in a private directory.
Users can write catalogues, or select data from existing ones
and manage them with the DIRA2 commands.
DIRA2 is able to:
- Provide the user with all the system available specifications:
catalogue file location, names, reading formats, entry codes
in the catalogue record etc One can also obtain astronomical
documentation of the catalogue content.
- Create, manage, search, query and retrieve data from the Data
- Create a new catalogue field as a function of existing fields, or
create new catalogues as a junction of existing catalogues.
- Transform the astronomical coordinate system of the catalogues.
- Supply the user with some user-oriented utilities for the data
display and graphic search. One can get maps, wedge diagrams,
histograms, regressions on graphic devices or workstations catalogue
data can be retrieved by cursor location.
- Write and read catalogues and tables in FITS format.
- Provide the user with means to develop his own programs of data
base use, by calling a library of FORTRAN subroutines.
Next: Master and personal data base levels.
Previous Page: Background.
Next Page: Master and personal data base levels.